• Question: what type of scientist are you?

    Asked by Anon on 22 Jun 2020.
    • Photo: Tiffany Chan

      Tiffany Chan answered on 22 Jun 2020:

      Hi! This is a surprisingly difficult question! I studied chemistry at university, but I did a masters in bioengineering and now work between chemistry and biology. I’d probably still call myself a chemist/chemical biologist, but I actually don’t do much traditional chemistry nowadays…

    • Photo: Siti Syuhaida Mohamed Yunus

      Siti Syuhaida Mohamed Yunus answered on 22 Jun 2020:

      Hello! I started with a biologist, then chemist, forensic scientist and now, environmental scientist. Also, I’m doing computer modelling for my research. Sounds a bit complicated. 🙂

    • Photo: Sonia Lenehan

      Sonia Lenehan answered on 22 Jun 2020:

      Hi! I started studying biology in college and then I moved into neuroscience which is the study of the brain! I am now doing my PhD which looks at how an infants brain grows and is influenced by the environment. Some people would call me a clinical neuroscientist!

    • Photo: Ruth Aguilar

      Ruth Aguilar answered on 22 Jun 2020:

      Hello! not a straight answer for me either. I studied biochemistry at university, and masters on Global Environmental change, and working on the Environmental team, so i guess i am like Tiffany, still call myself a biochemist, but don’t do the traditional things…

    • Photo: Rosina Simmons

      Rosina Simmons answered on 22 Jun 2020:

      I’m an Engineer, a type of scientist that solves problems.

      The problems that I solve are in offshore wind farms and nuclear power plants.

    • Photo: Victoria Woolley

      Victoria Woolley answered on 22 Jun 2020:

      Hi! I’m an entomologist and a molecular biologist. This means that I study insects and try to understand how they work on a very small scale.

    • Photo: Theresa Wacker

      Theresa Wacker answered on 22 Jun 2020:

      Hi, thanks for that question!
      Currently, I am a bioinformatician, I look at data to understand biology. Essentially, I stare a screens and try to decipher what biological answers DNA and chromatin might give me to questions regarding some deadly fungal bugs.
      Before, I used to be an microbial ecologist and sampled mud volcanos in Italy to see what unicellular organisms live there (microbial eukaryotes; they have a nucleus like you and me in their cell (we have it in each cell) but they are only made of one cell). Before that, I worked in biochemistry and purified proteins and looked at their structure. In between, I looked at how dioxins (really really toxic stuff) affect cells.
      Overall, it has been quite journey. I would say, molecular biologist would probably cover all these fields. I look at the biology of tiny things or the role of tiny things in the context of biology. Be it DNA, proteins, toxins or tiny organisms.

    • Photo: Sophie Louth

      Sophie Louth answered on 22 Jun 2020:

      Hello, I am a medical research engineer. This means I am working to develop new tools for doctors to help make people better. I work in a lab testing out new ideas to see if they will work.

    • Photo: Sophia Pells

      Sophia Pells answered on 22 Jun 2020:

      This isn’t so straightforward for me to answer either! I studied physics at university and now my PhD is officially in nuclear physics because I am studying radioactive atoms, but my work is very related to medical physics and nuclear medicine

    • Photo: Sreejita Ghosh

      Sreejita Ghosh answered on 23 Jun 2020:

      I started off as a Biomedical Engineer (spec: Diagnostic imaging and instrumentation). Then I transitioned to a Data Science PhD. Now I develop interpretable machine learning models to apply on healthcare datasets and help in early diagnosis of hormonal diseases in babies, neonates, and children, and also in extracting knowledge about these diseases from the datasets.

    • Photo: Ruth Carter

      Ruth Carter answered on 24 Jun 2020:

      Hi, I studied Biology at University. I am now an entomologist which means I study insects

    • Photo: Roberta Migale

      Roberta Migale answered on 24 Jun 2020:

      I am a molecular biologist which means I study the tiniest components of a cell, especially those packed into the cell nucleus (genes and all proteins which regulate gene expression). But I also do computational biology as I often use programming and computers to analyse my data. It’s great to be both in the lab and also doing in silico science from home 😀